A Savory Stew of our Favorites

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cafe Rio

I'm not sure this is exactly like Cafe Rio's grub, but it's pretty dang close and pretty darn good.

Cafe Rio Pork
3-5 lbs pork roast (cook in crock pot on high for 4-6 hours or until it shreds nicely)
1 1/2 cans coke (18 oz)- we just get the caffeine free version
1 cup sugar
7 oz chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp minced garlic

Put all ingredients in a bowl and fish chilies out. Then add to shredded pork and cook in crock pot for 1/2 - 1 hour. When I make it I don't use as much sugar and I double the sauce.

Rice
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1-3 cubes chicken bullion
1/2 tsp dried onion
1/4 bunch cilantro
1 Tbsp oil
1 lime (squeeze on when rice is done. I have never done this)

I usually triple the rice when I make it, but I always have at least one or two other couples to share it with and we still have leftovers. Put all ingredients in at once (except the lime) and cook like regular rice.

Dressing
1 envelope Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch
1 cup mayo
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp green salsa or tomatios (I have never done this in mine)
cilantro

My sister also makes crunchy corn tortilla strips for the top. You just brush corn tortillas with EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil) and salt and then cut them in strips and put them in the oven for 350 for 15 to 20 min.

Assembly
Start with a flour tortilla. Add pork, rice, cheese, lettuce, tomato, black beans, dressing, guacamole, and strips. Enjoy.

From: Tennille Sorenson

1 comment:

  1. You can get fresh flour tortilla's from Cost-Co in the fridge section that you cook up at home that make this even better. They are soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete