A Savory Stew of our Favorites

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Quick Doughnuts

Every conference we carry on a little tradition that the sistas started (that would be my mother's sisters- of which I emphatically claim to be one of. No, not literally, but I'm part of the sistahood). While the men are at the priesthood session, the women make homemade doughnuts. Stacks and stacks. Covered. In chocolate. Powdered sugar. Cinnamon sugar. If you are JD, the doughnut is merely the vehicle to cram as much sprinkles into your mouth as humanly possible. Since it's just JD and I, we make ourselves sick and then give the rest away because I don't know how to reduce. The tradition is stacks and stacks.

Well this year is one of those years. My mom calls them "Chicken Nugget Thanksgivings". Trying to make the perfect recipe of doughnuts was just not in the cards. So I discovered this little trick:

1. Buy refrigerated buttermilk biscuits.
2. Cut a hole in the center just like you would for doughnuts.
3. Fry.

There you have it. Quick and easy. Now- I have to say that they are not as good as the real deal. And when I tasted them I was disappointed. I tried dipping in chocolate and again, disappointed. Then I dipped them in cinnamon sugar. That's when the magic happened. Yummy! I didn't have any powdered sugar so I don't know if that would have been good. But also, I bought the regular refrigerated biscuits instead of buttermilk. I wonder if that would have made a difference.

All in all, the perfect doughnut, this is not. But a great and fast substitute? Definitely.

1 comment:

  1. Must have been in the air. Krispy Kreme made mine. The men came home and gave me a disappointed look. I confessed, I cheated, but...... as you say, it's a Chicken Nugget Thanksgiving moment in my life. "Just be glad you got donuts dang it!! I could have done like other women around and flounced off to the mall!!" They repented and ate the donuts.

    ReplyDelete